Friday, September 28, 2012

Friday Excerpts

To blog or not to blog, that is the question.... and welcome back to the cyberworld/blogiverse/Internet, ladies and gentlemen! Today I've decided to post several excerpts from some books, not all of which I like. Yet somehow: No matter what book it's from, excerpts always seem to sound good. I mean, the standard excerpt. Not some scribble about pigs flying and a zombie apocalypse. Like:

They were all looking away -- away from each other, away from the other students, away from anything in particular as far as I could tell. As I watched, the small girl rose with her tray -- unopened soda, unbitten apple -- and walked away with a quick, graceful lope that belonged on a runway. I watched, amazed at her lithe dancer's step, till she dumped her tray and glided through the back door, faster than I would have thought possible. My eyes darted back to the others, who sat unchanging.

Yes, it's from the widely debated-over Twilight. Now, to me, this excerpt does not at all give anything away to the terribleness that is sparkly vampire-and-insecure teenage girl-lovestruckness. (People, stalkerish tendencies in a guy are not even remotely sexy. Okay?)

Here are a few of my other favorite excerpts:

O, she knew well
Thy love did read by rote and could not spell.
But come, young waverer, come, go with me,
In one respect I'll thy assistant be;
For this alliance may so happy prove,
To turn your households' rancour to pure love.

-Friar Lawrence, Romeo and Juliet, Act 2, Scene 3

I am a total Shakespeare addict, so of course I had to post an excerpt from one of his plays!

Every second, another streak of silver glows: parentheses, exclamation points, commas - a whole grammar made of light, for words too hard to speak.
-My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

I feel like My Sister's Keeper has a lot of wonderful excerpts, but this is one I remember as being particularly clever and beautiful.


It seemed like forever ago, like we've had this brief but still infinite forever. Some infinities are bigger than other infinities.
-The Fault In Our Stars by John Green

A lot of the other quotes were spoilers, so...yeah.

I want to tear myself from this place, from this reality, rise up like a cloud and float away, melt into this humid summer night and dissolve somewhere far, over the hills. But I am here, my legs blocks of concrete, my lungs empty of air, my throat burning. There will be no floating away.
-The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

The Kite Runner was an emotionally packed read. Again, I had the problem of would-be spoilers.


Rudy Steiner was scared of the book thief's kiss. He must have longed for it so much. He must have loved her so incredibly hard. So hard that he would never ask for her lips again and would go to his grave without them.” 
-The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

This was one of the books that, after I finished, I was thiiiiiis close to crying. Oh, Rudy, you saukerl...

Anyway, thank you for reading all of these excerpts, and happy reading! Over and out! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment